Basically I took the idea from the 5 strand braided t-shirt headband and went mini with it. The result was super cute friendship bracelets for everyone! The t-shirt material makes them just stretchy enough to fit over their hands but not so loose that they are falling off or getting in the way.
- Old T-shirts, the bigger the better.
- Needle and thread
- Glue/Glue Gun
- Coloured felt hearts
- Grab your old t-shirts.
- Cut 5 x 1" strips. Make the strips as long as you can because it is easier to cut them into smaller pieces later to make more bracelets.
- After you have cut the strips, hold each end of the strip and pull in opposite directions to stretch the strip. The strip will curl into itself.
- To measure the length needed for each bracelet, measure your child's wrist and cut the strips about 2 times the circumference of their wrist.
- Sew 5 strips together at one end.
- Begin braiding following the instructions found here.
- Sew the end of your braid together.
- Sew the two ends of the the braid together to form the bracelet. Trim ends if necessary.
- Use a small piece of the t-shirt material and wrap it around the bracelet where you sewed it together to cover the seam. Use a glue gun or fabric glue to keep it in place.
- If you like, cut some hearts out of felt and attach them with the glue.
click on the picture below.
Don't have time to figure out the 5 strand braid? Not to worry, take them old school and braid your friendship bracelets with 3 strands. No one else will know.
Happy Valentine's Day!