- Empty Glass Jars - lids punctured with a few holes by parent
- Hammer/Nail for puncturing lid
- Craft Paint - red/black, yellow/black, any assortment of other colours your like
- Paint Brushes
- Googly Eyes
- Pipe cleaners, feathers, pompoms (optional)
- Hot Glue
Instructions to Make Bug Jars:
- Hammer a few holes into the lid of the jar using a nail to allow breathing holes.
- Paint the lid of your jar to look like the insect of your choice. This can be a real or imagined insect.
- Allow lid to dry.
- Have a parent help to add the eyes, wings and antennae using a hot glue gun.
How to Use Bug Jars:
- Have the kids gather some grass, twigs, flowers, and other items from the yard that they think will attract the insects.
- Add them to the jar.
- Look for insects under rocks, around the base of trees.
- Scoop an insect or two into the jar and screw the lid back on.
- The kids can keep, watch and enjoy the insect(s) while camping in the backyard.