I love how simple soup is to make. It is perfect for those days when you need a quick meal. It re-heats perfectly so you can make it ahead. It is even great with company; just add some crusty bread and a salad to round out the meal.
This recipe delivers the traditional flavours of lasagna but is far simpler to make. By using a can of Campbell's Condensed Tomato with Basil and Oregano Soup as your base you eliminate the need for a variety of spices. I had everything except the Malfada Corta noodles already in my fridge or pantry.
Cooking is about experimenting so you should never be scared to substitute. In this recipe you can interchange any short noodle. In fact, I couldn't find the Malfada Corta noodles in my grocery stores so I used a pasta called Tripolina Lunga which looks like really narrow pieces of lasagna noodles. My daughter broke them in half as we added them to the soup. They were perfect although I would definitely suggest breaking them into quarters next time.
There is something so soothing about homemade soup. It is warm, it is filling, it is my comfort food. My kids tend to like store bought soup better than anything I make but this recipe had them begging for more - literally!
My son asked if I could make it every day and my daughter wants it in weekly rotation. They fought over who was going to get the leftover portion in their lunch today. I would call that a resounding success. The only change I'll make next time is to double the recipe.
Considering how easy it is to make, it is surprising that more people don't make their own soup. After this huge success I will definitely be trying more of Campbell's homemade soup recipes.
|Image: Cook with Campbells|
- 1 lb (454 g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 box (900 mL) CAMPBELL'S® Ready to Use 30% Less Sodium Beef Broth
- 1 can (284 mL) CAMPBELL'S® Condensed Tomato with Basil and Oregano Soup
- 2 cups (500 mL) water
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) dried oregano leaves, crushed
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) diced fresh tomato
- 2 cups (500 mL) whole wheat short lasagna-noodle-shaped pasta (mafalda corta)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) shredded Parmesan cheese
- Spray large heavy-bottomed saucepan or Dutch oven lightly with cooking spray. Brown beef well at medium-high heat.
- Add broth, soup, water, garlic, oregano, pepper and tomato. Heat to a boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in pasta and reduce heat.
- Cover and cook at gentle boil until pasta is tender - about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into soup bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
This post was generously sponsored by Campbell’s, but the opinions and images are my own. For more quick and easy meals kids will love, visit CookwithCampbells.ca.