Then, last spring I was in the hardware store when I saw this can of Rust-oleum Metallic oil rubbed bronze spray paint. All the other metal accents in these rooms are brushed bronze.
The handles themselves are good quality and in fine shape so I decided it was worth a try.
|Oops - forgot a before shot.|
Because I hated them they were never featured in photos so this is the best I could do. Sorry!
I removed all of the handles from the doors and used an egg carton to support them for spraying. I took them outside, put a sheet down to protect the lawn then went to it.
The spray was very easy to use and produced a really even coat. I had 3 sets of handles altogether. I gave each handle two coats of the spray and had lots left for other projects. After drying overnight I put them back on the doors. They looked great.
I have now had them on the doors for about 10 months. There is absolutely no wear and tear, they are holding up beautifully. The can cost me about $9 with tax. I'd say that was a pretty creative idea done on a dime.