Gingerbread Cookies - Makes approximately 50 cookies.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 large teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ginger
- 5 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325C
- Cream together the sugar and butter
- Mix in the molasses
- Stir and add the water, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and flour.
- Roll the cookie dough out on a floured board or counter to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut out shapes using cookie cutters (dust them with flour first).
- Place them on a non-stick cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- tiny pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 egg white (very well beaten)
- Boil the sugar, water and cream of tartar until it threads.
- Pour gradually over 1 egg white (very well beaten)
- Continue beating until mixture begins to thicken
- Colour if desired using food colouring
- Spread on cookies.
You can half the recipe but why? Give some out as gifts. They freeze beautifully so you can make them ahead and pull them out as you need them. Enjoy!