Everyone in my family loves smoothies and we often make them ourselves so this year I started making extra big batches and freezing them in lunch box sized drinking containers.
I pop one in her bag and it is thawed out by lunch time. It acts as a perfect freezer pack as well so there is no need for an extra ice-pack in the lunch bag.
By using Greek yogurt I am infusing it with protein. They always get finished and are deemed a treat by my kids. It is a win-win situation all around.
I don't follow a set recipe in terms of measurements but this is how they always evolve.
- ice cubes
- frozen fruit (any type)
- ripe or overripe banana - peeled and broken into pieces
- Greek yogurt (plain or vanilla)
- orange juice
- Put 5-7 ice-cubes in the blender
- Add about a cup of frozen fruit
- Add the banana. (over ripe bananas you've tossed in the freezer work perfectly)
- Add about 4 heaping tablespoons of yogurt.
- Fill the blender 1/2 to 2/3 full with orange juice.
- * Turn the blender on and mix until smooth. *
- Divide into lunch bag size drink containers and freeze them.
I hope your kids enjoy them as much as mine do!